The Casual Workers Advice Office (CWAO) was founded in 2011 as a non-profit, independent organisation. It provides advice and support to workers, especially casual, contract, labour broker and other precarious workers.
Job Title: Strategic Litigation Attorney
Location: Germiston, Johannesburg
Salary commensurate with experience and the CWAO’s remuneration framework.
Applicants must share with the CWAO a commitment to protecting workers’ rights and to using law as an instrument of justice.
Preference will be given to black women applicants.
- Strategic litigation
- Regular appearances at CCMA/Bargaining Councils
- Labour Court appearances in interdicts, trials and review applications
- Act as instructing attorney to counsel for Labour Appeal Court and Constitutional Court litigation
- Legal research
- Legal drafting
- Supervising and training of candidate attorneys and paralegals
- Establishing systems for recording, tracking, follow-up and reporting on cases
- Reporting and compliance
- Admission as a practising attorney for at least three years
- Up-to-date and substantial knowledge of labour legislation, women worker rights in particular
- Up-to-date knowledge of practice and procedure in the CCMA/Bargaining Councils and Labour Courts
- Legal writing skills
- Legal research skills
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, internet, email)
- Ability to take direction in a collective, democratic, worker-led environment
- Strong commitment to high-quality client service
- Demonstrated background of commitment to worker and human rights
- Fluent in English and at least one other official South African language
- Valid Driver’s licence
- Applicants must be available to work on Saturdays
Submit your application to [email protected] together with the following:
- Motivational letter
- CV with copies of qualifications
- Relevant sample of your writing (less than 10 pages)
- Two contactable references.
Application Deadline: no later than 31 December 2020