The Global Teachers Institute (GTI) is a teacher development platform dedicated to strengthening teacher capacity and the quality of schooling in South Africa and across the world by changing the way teachers are trained.
The GTI aims to empower student teachers, current faculty, school leaders, and education organisations by offering a range of programs that refocus teacher training and professional development on the principles of classroom excellence, consciousness development, and social responsibility.
Job Title: Executive Director
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg but national and international travel will be required.
The GTI is looking for an Executive Director (ED) to lead and manage all Global Teachers Institute operations, people and ventures. The ED will work closely with the Board Chair to represent the interests and the work of the GTI in multiple forums in South Africa and in African and other international contexts. The ED will work to ensure that the GTI Board is fully informed and engaged in the governance responsibilities of the GTI. The ED will set the bar for the focus on the qualitative aspects of the programmes and processes of the GTI to ensure that teachers emerging from this work are optimally prepared to fulfil their responsibilities as educational leaders, where-ever they work.
- Develop and execute the GTI strategies in order to attain the goals and objectives determined with the full agreement of the Board.
- Provide strategic leadership to the Board and Board Chairperson to ensure they have an accurate view of the landscape and the future work of the GTI.
- Recruit and develop staff members with the appropriate capabilities and potential to become outstanding managers and advocates of the work of the GTI.
- Delegate responsibilities and supervise the work of staff, providing guidance and motivation to drive maximum performance.
- Prepare and implement comprehensive operational plans to facilitate achievement by planning cost-effective operations and market development activities.
- Ensure GTI policies and legal guidelines are communicated and adhered to at all levels of the organization.
- Communicate, develop and maintain trust relationships with all relevant stakeholders, business partners and education entities and authorities.
- Oversee the GTI’s financial management, operating systems and new ventures.
- Develop and implement a performance management system that ensures individual accountabilities are clarified and monitored.
- Represent the GTI in public forums and to represent the GTI as a public relations representative in ways that strengthen its profile and operations.
Applicant high-level strength requirements:
- The ideal candidate will be a reflective strategist, an effective manager, and a dynamic leader able to steer the GTI to the most sustainable direction while also implementing its vision, mission and long-term goals.
- Very strong crisis management skills will also be essential since the organization is in a quality-driven growth phase, moving beyond initial start-up successes.
- The goal is to ensure the GTI is constantly moving towards fulfilling its short-term and long-term objectives and does not diverge from its strategic framework.
Recommended experience and qualification:
- Proven experience as Director or other senior managerial position.
- Demonstrable experience in developing strategic and business plans.
- Thorough knowledge of the education landscape and forces that influence the work of the GTI.
- Some experience as a teacher will be an advantage.
- Strong understanding of financial management and measures of performance.
- Familiarity with labour law and management best practices.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Relevant academic degree/s including some business administration; relevant Masters degree or equivalent NQF Level 9 qualification will be an advantage.
Please send a CV with a cover letter motivating your suitability for the position and your remuneration expectations to [email protected].
Application Deadline: Sunday, 17 January, 2021